We offer Private Languedoc tours customised to your requirements, you chose the places to visit and you set the pace, staying, if you choose, in the best local hotels and eating at the best restaurants.
Dates are flexible. You get to choose, subject to availability.
Groups sizes are variable, but 1 to 4 is typical.
- Who Were the Cathars?
- Cathar Beliefs
- Historical Context - The High Middle Ages
- Some Problems
- Where did Catharism come from?
- Medieval warfare
- The Albigensian Crusade
- Cathar Castles
- The End of Catharism
- Some Interesting Questions
- Consequences, Vestiges and Ramifications
Included is information on related topics such as medieval warfare, heraldry, feudalism, the role of the Catholic Church, the Count of Toulouse, Occitan culture, medieval politics, and source documents.
The schedule is flexible. Participants are free to select from the following, and we can probably accommodate requests to visit any other locations within 60 miles of Carcassonne.
- Aguilar - Cathar Château
- Albi - picturesque town which gave its name to the Albigensian Crusade, Cathedral
- Alet-les-Bains - Natural spring, Medieval Cité, Ruined Abbey / Cathedral
- Arques - Crusader Château & museum
- Avignonet - Site of a Château belonging to the Count of Toulouse where a team of inquisitors were murdered in 1242
- Bram - Circulade & site of an atrocity during the War against the Cathars
- Carcassonne - Cathar Château (Château Comtal), Cité, Basilica, museum, Canal du Midi
- Foix - Cathar Château, Capital of the medieval county of Foix
- Fontfroide - Cistercian Abbey
- Lagrasse - Benedictine Abbey
- Lastours (Cabaret) - 3 Cathar Châteaux + medieval village
- Lavaur - Cathedral, site of atrocity during the Cathar Wars
- Le Bezu - Cathar Château
- Mazamet - Museum of Catharism
- Megalithic Sites - throughout the region
- Minerve - Cathar Château
- Montaillou - the famous Cathar village where everyone was arrested by the Bishop of Pamiers
- Montsegur - Cathar Château, medieval village & museum
- Peyrepertuse - Cathar Château
- Puilaurens - Cathar Château
- Queribus - Cathar Château
- Puivert - Cathar Château & museum
- Rennes-le-Château - Roman town, now a Hilltop Village with a notable church & museum
- Rennes-les-Bains - Roman thermal spa town, & museum
- St Hilaire - Benedictine Abbey
- Termes - Cathar Château + medieval village
- Toulouse - Capital of the county of Toulouse,Museums, Cathedral, important Churches
- Villerouge Termenes - Château of the Archbishop of Narbonne where the last known Cathar parfait was burned alive.
Schedules can be tailored to special requirements. Examples are:
- Cathars and Wine Tours in the Languedoc
- Cathar Castles Photography
- Cathars and Megalithic sites in the Languedoc
- Cathars and Archaeology in the Languedoc
- Cathars and History in the Languedoc
- Cathars and Languedoc Mysteries
- The Cathar Crusade and Heraldry in the Languedoc
- Cycling the Cathar Castles
- Horse Riding the Cathar Castles
- Hiking the Cathar Castles
The cost is 1,000 Euros per person per day for the first person, and 500 per person for each subsequent person.
So, One person ~ 1,000 Euros; 2 people ~ 1,500 Euros; 3 people ~ 2,000 Euros; 4 people ~ 2,500 Euros; ...
INCLUDED: Lunch and entry fees.
EXCLUDED: Tour transport (but can be arranged on request). We normally meet at the location.